Questions to Ask When Vetting Different Nursing Homes
Deciding that a nursing home is the best option for yourself or a loved one can be a hard
choice to make. Once you have made that determination, the next step is looking for the right fit.
With so many different options available, choosing a nursing home can feel overwhelming as
you might not know what you are looking for. The best way to determine if a facility is the right
choice is to ask questions, so we have compiled a list of important things to ask when vetting
different nursing homes.
1. Are there services offered for those with specific needs, such as rehab or
dementia care? Knowing what services are available can help you narrow down your
search. Different facilities provide different services, so if you are looking for something
specific it is important to confirm that option is available.
2. How do you ensure that the transition into your facility is comfortable for new
residents? Moving into a nursing home can be an adjustment, so it is nice to know what
resources are offered to help make the process go smoothly.
3. Are there activities for residents to partake in? When choosing a home, knowing that
there are activities and social opportunities available that align with your interests can
help you make the right choice.
4. Is transportation included for doctor appointments? How about for other
activities? Having easy access to transportation for medical appointments is critical for
proper healthcare, so most places have that option. However, transportation options to
other things such as social gatherings or family events can vary from place to place. If
that is something you are looking for, it is important to confirm what options are available.
5. How do you prevent falls and reduce the risk of injuries? For many, the decision to
move into a nursing home is made because living at home is no longer safe due to fall
and injury risk. A nursing home is supposed to be a secure space, so it is critical to ask
how they ensure a high level of safety.
6. What are the meal options? And are there accommodations for those with special
diets? Meals are a huge part of daily life, so having enjoyable meal options that follow
your dietary needs is necessary.
7. Are there specified visiting hours? And is there a limit on how many people can
visit as well as how long they can stay? Visitation policies can vary from place to
place, so asking these questions will help determine if a home aligns with your lifestyle.
8. What are the room accommodations like? Some facilities have shared rooms, others
have private apartments. If you have specific preferences it is important to find out what
your options are.
9. How would you describe the overall environment? Some facilities have a more social
environment than others, some are very flexible while others keep a more specific
schedule, etc. Asking staff and residents how they would describe the facility can give
you a glimpse into what daily life is like.
Asking questions like these can make the search for the right nursing home much less
intimidating. Not only will you learn about the different options, but you will also get an idea of
what life is like at each one and what you are looking for.
At Windsor House we have multiple different facilities where we offer a variety of services. If you
are interested in learning more about us and what we have to offer, contact us today. We are
here to answer your questions and help you find the right option for you.